Texas A&M Sees Substantial Gains In US News Best Colleges Undergraduate Rankings
Texas A&M University made an extraordinary showing on the latest annual ranking of the nation’s best colleges by U.S. News and World Report, moving up 20 spots to No. 47 overall.
Texas A&M is the No. 20 Best Public University in the nation in the rankings, up six places from last year. Nationally, three of the university’s programs are in the Top 10, and 12 programs are in the Top 20.
Notably, A&M has the No. 1 petroleum engineering program in the nation and its cybersecurity program rose six spots to No. 16 overall (No. 11 public). Additional gains are seen in the education abroad program, which is No. 16 in the nation (No. 2 public), up three spots; best college for veterans, No. 27 (No. 20 public), up 11 places; and nursing, No. 31 (No. 25 public), up 36 spots.
“Congratulations to the faculty and staff,” said Texas A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp. “This recognition is a testament to their hard work and world-class scholarship and research.”
Prior to releasing the numbers publicly, U.S. News announced changes to its methodology for this edition, including a greater emphasis on outcomes for graduating college students
The recognition from U.S. News comes on the heels of another notable ranking from The Wall Street Journal, which recently named Texas A&M the No. 1 university in the state, No. 6 in the nation among public universities and No. 38 overall. The publication also announced an increased focus on outcomes.
“We’re proud that in the span of a week, not one but two major publications are recognizing Texas A&M as one of the nation’s best universities,” said General (Ret.) Mark A. Welsh III, interim president. “It’s especially interesting to note substantial gains happened for us when student outcomes were weighed more heavily. That’s what matters most to us here at Texas A&M and these results are a clear indication we’re headed in the right direction.”
Highlights from the rankings include:
College of Engineering No. 13 (No. 7 public)
- Aerospace No. 10 (No. 6 public)
- Biological and Agricultural No. 3 (No. 1 in Texas)
- Chemical No. 21 (No. 12 public)
- Civil No. 7 (No. 6 public)
- Computer Engineering No. 21 (No. 12 public)
- Computer Science No. 33 (No. 16 public)
- Electrical No. 15 (No. 9 public)
- Industrial No. 11 (No. 8 public, No. 1 in Texas)
- Materials Science No. 20 (No. 13 public, No. 1 in Texas)
- Mechanical No. 11 (No. 6 public, No. 1 in Texas)
- Petroleum No. 1
Mays Business School No. 29 (No. 18 public)
- Accounting No. 13 (No. 7 public)
- Finance No. 34 (No. 13 public)
- Management No. 11 (No. 8 public)
- Marketing No. 26 (No. 13 public)
- Supply Chain Management No. 24 (No. 20 public)
View the full U.S. News rankings here.