Texas A&M Rises In World University Rankings, Now In Top 4 Percent
Texas A&M University has moved up 14 spots in the latest World University Rankings
The Center for World University Rankings (CWUR) publishes the global university ranking, listing the top 2,000 institutions out of 20,000 worldwide.
Texas A&M now ranks at No. 73 in the world and No. 41 in the United States. Nationally, the university climbed eight spots from last year’s No. 49.
“For many years, Texas A&M has prided itself on conducting groundbreaking research that directly improves the lives of people throughout our state and across the nation,” said Texas A&M University President Michael K. Young. “Our rapid rise in the World University Rankings is further proof that the innovations of our exceptional faculty also have a transformative impact on the lives and the futures of communities and regions around the globe.”
The Center ranks the world’s best universities using the following indicators:
- Quality of education: the number of university alumni who have won major academic distinctions relative to the university’s size;
- Alumni employment: the number of alumni who have held top executive positions at the world’s largest companies relative to the university’s size;
- Quality of faculty: the number of faculty members who have won major academic distinctions;
- Research performance, including:
- Research output – the total number of research papers;
- High-quality publications – the number of research papers appearing in top-tier journals;
- Influence – the number of research papers appearing in highly-influential journals;
- Citations – the number of highly-cited research papers.
The Center for World University Rankings also looks at universities globally by subject. In the last such ranking, conducted in 2017, Texas A&M appeared in the top 10 in the following subjects:
- Engineering/Aerospace: No. 6
- Engineering/Petroleum: No. 9
- Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism: No. 6
- Water Resources: No. 10
According to its website, the CWUR is an international consulting organization that provides policy advice, strategic insights and consulting services to governments and universities to improve educational and research outcomes.