Phil Gramm meets with a class of recipients of the Phil Gramm Doctoral Fellowship Awards in April 2017.
By Keith Randall, Texas A&M Marketing And Communications
Texas A&M University will present eight students with the U.S. Senator Phil Gramm Doctoral Fellowship Awards during ceremonies April 4 from 3:30-5 p.m. on campus.
The awards will be presented in the Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center and will feature a three-minute presentation by the recipients highlighting their academic work. The fellowships are named for Phil Gramm, who earned his doctorate from the University of Georgia and served as an economics professor at Texas A&M for 12 years before embarking on a highly successful political career—first serving as a U.S. Congressman from Texas in 1978. In 1984, he was elected to serve in the U.S. Senate and went on to spend 24 years in Congress, working on numerous budgetary, welfare and homeland security reforms.
While at Texas A&M, Gramm authored numerous articles and books ranging from monetary theory to mineral extraction economics. He is currently a senior adviser to U.S. Policy Metrics, an economic and public policy research firm in Washington, D.C. He is married to Wendy Lee Gramm, a former member of The Texas A&M System Board of Regents and former chairman of the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission under Presidents Reagan and Bush. They have two sons, Marshall, Texas A&M Class of 2000, and Jeff.
The award winners include:
- Billur Aksoy, Department of Economics, College of Liberal Arts
Advisors: Dr. Catherine Eckel, Dr. Silvana Krasteva
- Madeline S. Durkee, Department of Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering
Advisor: Dr. Kristen C. Maitland
- Travis D. Goode, Texas A&M Institute for Neuroscience
Advisor: Dr. Stephen Maren
- Karl Gorzelnik, Department of Biochemistry & Biophysics, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences Advisor: Dr. Junjie Zhang
- Nazanin Afsar Kazerooni, Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering
Advisor: Dr. Arun Srinivasa
- Nigel Austin Lepianka, Department of English, College of Liberal Arts
Advisor: Dr. Amy Earhart
- Rakesh R. Mallipeddi, Department of Information & Operations Management, Mays Business School
Advisor: Dr. Chelliah Sriskandarajah
- Tara R. Price, Department of Nutrition & Food Science, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
Advisor: Dr. Rosemary L. Walzem
Media contact: Peggy Samson, Office of the Provost, at (979) 845-6366 or email@example.com or Keith Randall, News & Information, at (979) 845-4644 or firstname.lastname@example.org