Texas A&M System Regents Approve 14 Texas A&M University Regents Professors And Regents Fellows
The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents has designated six Texas A&M University faculty members and eight agency service, extension or research professionals as Regents Professors and Regents Fellows for 2019-2020.
An additional eight faculty members from system campuses have also been named Regents Professors.
“These individuals exemplify the commitment to excellence in research and service that sets A&M system employees apart,” Elaine Mendoza, chairman of The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents. “I hope their example will inspire others in their own endeavors.”
The board established the Regents Professor Awards program in 1996 and the Regents Fellow Service Awards program in 1998 to recognize employees who have made extraordinary contributions to their university, or agency, as well as to the people of Texas.
This year’s recipients of the Regents Professor Award are:
- Yassin Hassan, Texas A&M University
- Christine Stanley, Texas A&M University
- Peter Yu, Texas A&M University
- Patrick Louchouarn, Texas A&M University Galveston Campus
- Bhimanagouda Patil, Texas A&M University AgriLife Research
- David Threadgill, Texas A&M University Health Science Center
- Jane Bolin, Texas A&M University Health Science Center
- Frances Bernat, Texas A&M International University
- Fred Bonner II, Prairie View A&M University
- Julia Ballenger, Texas A&M University-Commerce
- Gregory Stuntz, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi
- Susan Roberson, Texas A&M University-Kingsville
- Edward Westermann, Texas A&M University-San Antonio
- Luz Mary Rincon, Texas A&M University-Texarkana
- Alex Hunt, West Texas A&M University
This year’s recipients of the Regents Fellow Service Awards are:
- Diane Boellstorff, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
- Ruben Saldaña, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension
- John Crawford, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station
- Alphonse Davis, Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service
- Wes Moorehead, Texas A&M Forest Service
- Lance Bullard, Jr., Texas A&M Transportation Institute
- Susan Chrysler, Texas A&M Transportation Institute
The selection process for the awards begins with a call for nominations from the chancellor. Final nominations are put forth to the chief executive officer of each respective entity. They are then subject to a system-level review consisting of academic vice chancellors and past recipients of the awards. Finally, nominations are forwarded to the chancellor and the board for final approval.
To date, 268 Texas A&M system faculty members have been recognized with the Regents Professor Award and 157 agency professionals have received the Regents Fellow Service Award.
About the Texas A&M University System
The Texas A&M University System is one of the largest systems of higher education in the nation with a budget of $6.3 billion. The System is a statewide network of 11 universities; a comprehensive health science center; eight state agencies, including the Texas Division of Emergency Management; and the RELLIS Campus. The Texas A&M System educates more than 151,000 students and makes more than 22 million additional educational contacts through service and outreach programs each year. System-wide, research and development expenditures exceeded $1 billion in FY 2019 and helped drive the state’s economy.