This year’s Distinguished Professors represent five Texas A&M colleges.
Seven Texas A&M University scholars have earned the university’s highest faculty honor by being named Distinguished Professors. The 2020 class of University Distinguished Professors includes faculty from the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, the College of Engineering, the College of Geosciences, the School of Law, and the College of Science.
The designation identifies faculty members who are preeminent in their fields and who have made at least one landmark contribution to their discipline. Their research and advancements are considered central to any narrative of the field. Past recipients of the lifetime title participate in the selection process, growing the ranks of Distinguished Professors by just a handful of scholars each year.
Distinguished Professors retain their current title but add the new distinction, along with additional salary support during the summer for three years and an annual bursary of $5,000 for five years.
“It is a privilege to recognize these faculty and honor the impact they have made on the world through scholarship and advancements in understanding,” Provost and Executive Vice President Carol A. Fierke said. “Distinguished Professorships celebrate the high caliber and global significance of scholarship underway at Texas A&M University.”
The 2020 University Distinguished Professors are:
- Richard Gomer, Department of Biology, College of Science
- Dallas Little, Department of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering
- Glynn Lunney, School of Law
- Helen Reed, Department of Aerospace Engineering, College of Engineering
- Patrick Stover, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Edriss Titi, Department of Mathematics, College of Science
- Ping Yang, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, College of Geosciences
The seven honorees will be inducted at a ceremony in March.
More information, including a complete list of University Distinguished Professors, is available on the Dean of Faculties website.