Recharging, Refueling, Reimagining The Future At SXSW
Texas A&M University marked its third year at SXSW Interactive Festival by showcasing the ways it is recharging, refueling and reimagining the future to more than 2,400 visitors from around the world at Texas A&M [Power] House March 10-12 in Austin.
For three days, guests experienced panel programming that highlighted Aggie innovations in public-private partnerships, digital world building, rural healthcare solutions and a masterclass in branding from a Texas A&M brand partner.
“Thousands of Texas A&M [Power] House visitors at SXSW experienced – many for the first time – that which makes us unique: outstanding scholarship and research blended with a spirit of selfless service infused in students, former students, faculty and staff,” said Amy B. Smith, Senior Vice President, Chief Marketing and Communications Officer. “We hope they left wanting to know more, and look forward to seeing them again, be it in Aggieland or in their part of the world.”
Data collected by RFID bracelets that guests received upon entry to Texas A&M [Power] House showed that Texas A&M reached its target audience of young professionals in growing industries. The 25- to 39-year-old age group made up a bulk of house guests with 1,113 visitors, while the top three industries represented at the house were technology, marketing and education.
Panel discussion summaries, photos, audio are available on Texas A&M Today:
- Reimagining Public & Private Partnerships
- John M. Murray, Army Futures Command
- Chancellor John Sharp, The Texas A&M University System
- Emily Ramshaw, Texas Tribune (moderator)
- World-Building Creativity & Technology
- Laura Murphy, Technical Director at Pixar Animation Studios
- Gracie Arenas Strittmatter, Technical Art Director at EA’s BioWare
- Kyle Clark, CEO of Flight School
- Tim McLaughlin, Texas A&M Department of Visualization (moderator)
- Brand Masters On Building The Brand
- Nicole Portwood, PepsiCo Vice President of Marketing – Mountain Dew, Energy & Flavors
- Plugging Into Rural Healthcare Solutions
- Dan McCoy, President of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas
- Vivian Lee, President of Health Platforms at Verily (formerly Google X)
- Greg Winfree, Director of the Texas A&M Transportation Institute
- Dean Carrie L. Byington, MD, Dean of the Texas A&M College of Medicine, Senior Vice President of the Texas A&M University Health Science Center and Vice Chancellor for Health Services at The Texas A&M University System. (moderator)
In addition to panelists that included representatives from Army Futures Command, Verily, Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas and EA-BioWare, Texas A&M [Power] House also featured live entertainment from singer-songwriter Shakey Graves and pro gaming competitions featuring FaZe Clan.
Texas A&M [Power] House guests experienced Aggie innovation firsthand at interactive exhibits that showcased telehealth counseling, phage therapy and educational video games.
More photos from the Texas A&M [Power] House Launch Powered by MTN DEW AMP GAME FUEL and the Texas A&M X Champion Showcase are available on Texas A&M Today.
Funding for Texas A&M at SXSW was made possible through brand licensing revenues, without the use of tuition dollars.